Now we know that there are hundreds of uses for white vinegar , but it’s not the only ordinary household product that can do double duty.
Baking soda – at less than a dollar a box – is a must for lots of recipes, and it has some pretty amazing cleaning powers.
I’m going to list some of my time-tested and approved baking soda uses, and then supply you with links to other suggestions for baking soda.
1. It can deodorize your fridge. Simply pop open the box top of your baking soda, and place it in the fridge. How easy is that? *
2. When mixed with white vinegar (these super cleaners work very well together) it can help de-stink the garbage disposal. I usually sprinkle some baking powder down the drain, and then pour the white vinegar in. As an added bonus, the cool fizzy noise is very entertaining for a toddler.
3. You can use baking soda in place of toothpaste. Put a small amount on your brush and use as you would toothpaste.
4. Baking soda is great at giving you a little more scrubbing power when white vinegar just won’t budge a sticky spot on the stovetop or in the bathtub.
5. Sprinkle it on top of the litter in your litter box to help eliminate the odor.
6. Sprinkle it inside stinky shoes to soak up the smell. (I do this a LOT in the summer when we wear sandals and tennis shoes with no socks.)
7. I have been told that you should put in half a cup of baking soda with your wash when your child has a stomach bug. Usually it can take several cycles to get rid of the smell, but baking soda is supposed to help eliminate the odor in just one cycle. Luckily, my son hasn’t been sick since I read that little tip. But I have a feeling I’ll be testing that one out some time this winter.
*Don’t use this baking soda when cooking!!
75 extraordinary uses for baking soda – It can help remove the sting from sunburns and insect bites!
60 uses of baking soda – I had no idea it could help put out small kitchen fires.
Creative uses for vinegar and baking soda – These two super cleaners are even better when they work together!